In that statement that we need to study history and his pointing out that Abe had not read or understood the Potsdam Declaration, Murayama seemed to be saying to his successor, “Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it. And if you knew your history, you’d make a proper apology. Get smart or shut up.” In many ways, the press conference was like a wise, cranky old teacher scolding a lazy student. However, will the lazy student listen?
Donate to JSRC
Japan Subculture Research Center is an independent website with original reporting on all aspects of Japanese society. If you enjoy the website and support investigative journalism, please donate a little of your spare yen (or dollars) to our efforts. Thank you! よろしくお願いします
- グローバルポップグループ「NOW UNITED」 ⽇本代表メンバーを！ (応募締切2⽉23⽇）
- Ladies of Japan: Last chance to be “The New Spice girl!” or World Idol! Apply By February 23rd!
- Heal Your Expat Heart: Find Your Element Workshops Starts February 22nd
- The Great White Woman Is Here to Save Japanese Men
- 絶品 (Zeppin) #1 : The Iron Men Of Iwate